Monday, June 15, 2009

Quarterly Report from Mason

A peaceful ride through the beautiful Appalachian mountains interrupted by a distant bark. Heart rate elevated. Increase speed and intensive survey of the yards ahead. See nothing and resume peaceful ridARhgh ARKARKARK he comes out of nowhere through a hole in the fence and smells blood. He is hungry and he hates people in bike shorts. Adrenaline overwhelms us both and the race is on- mine for survival and his for dinner. Alas! He is tiring. I am surging ahead and congratulate myself on winning this battle of will when HOOONK I nearly lose control of the bike and my bladder as I check my helmet mirror to find a fully loaded coal truck six inches from my tail. He also hates people in bike shorts and chances are he is hungry as well. A quick evaluation of the scenario also reveals a fully loaded coal truck coming in the opposite lane and a rocky embankment off the shoulderless road beside me. I dodge flying chunks of coal as I try to clear my eyes of fine coal dust as the trucks inch closerBZZZZZZZZ the alarm goes off on my cell phone and I am safe and comfy in my tent and Don is cooking bacon. I am relieved to awake in the gentle foothills of Kentucky with the worst of obstacles behind me in the mountains. The group is groggy but in good spirits as they trickle into the breakfast tent to see what treats await their hungry bellies. One thing has become clear to all: gorging on high calorie foods as much as possible is priority numero uno. Two weeks into the trip and we have settled into a good routine of biking, eating, sleeping, and remarkably frequent opportunities to practice hygiene.

As a native Virginian I didn’t expect to be surprised by the ride through my home state, but it turns out the interstates I’ve traveled since I was a kid don’t do it justice. The back roads and small towns were friendly, scenic and loaded with interesting history. Thanks to friends and family for the help and hospitality we received across the state- we are officially spoiled rotten. Also thanks to Yusef at Bike Barn for going well above and beyond in getting everybody sorted with their bikes late into the evening in Blacksburg. Although mostly similar in physical geography, a dramatic change in the route occurs at the Kentucky state line. The coal industry has left the place very impoverished and isolated, but at least they cut off the tops of entire mountains to create spectacular views of other mountains. All this aside and with a few creepy exceptions, the people were very nice and I hope their economic situation improves. *Note to cyclists- avoid Hindman, KY at all costs*. We are now in the Midwest with rolling hills and lots of corn and hay fields which makes for good riding- everybody is going really well and picking up the pace everyday. It’s been stormy and we all smell like wet dogs (sorry ladies its true) but churches, parks and fire stations have been good to us and we definitely can’t complain about accommodation. The truck and trailer are incredibly convenient and the battery/inverter system is working hard to keep our nifty electronics charged and sending out pictures and Tweets so people can follow the trip online. Which reminds me, long-winded blogs like this one are now dinosaurs and Dustin has already sent 3 messages on Twitter since I started typing, so I recommend checking out his page to get the latest.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You had me going on the dog thing! That happened to me for real, but I was on a motorcycle.

Unknown said...

Call me old fashioned but I like the blogger. Keep up the good work. Stay safe out there.

Anonymous said...

sounds right...see you guys in carbondale..just got here