Friday, August 10, 2007

Good Morning Sandpoint Idaho


Hello all.

We survived another night on the road, although the trains passing 30 feet from our tents provided a good scare at 4 am- my tent was rumbling so furiously I thought the guys may have dragged me right onto the tracks. The morale among team BTUSFMS is soaring with our arrival in a new state, and we are conflicted as to whether we should continue making progress into Montana or stay here in Sandpoint for the rest of our lives. This place is awesome- beautiful lake, exciting atmosphere- I think Don and Devin are reliving the magic of Dirty Dancing all over again. The "rift" between them as leaked by Karl has healed, and they are even "cycling" together again. As for Karl, the man has to be the most talented random song generator I've ever known, spontaneously spouting off 3 or 4 lines of songs most likely to get stuck in my head and moving on to the next without remorse. His theory about the bull urinating on his food bag is questionable to me, as this injustice has Don written all over it. New evidence in the case of an ill-fated laptop and a swift blow from Judge Judy?

We have a nice balance of personalities in our group for a trip of this nature, some not so serious and some more motivated at times, but we all seem to agree on important decisions and the best interest of the group is usually put first. We all dealt with our first dose of adversity like champions. We have had great reception to our cause thus far on the road, with most people enthusiastic about our ride and its good natured intent. We are still trying to get our footing a bit on how to explain to people what we are doing, as we don't want to seem obnoxious or pushy for donations, but I think we will soon become competent agents of charitable procurement. Suggestions are certainly accepted.

Thanks again to all the folks who helped us get off the ground and who continue to pedal our cause, and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say hi to my friends and family.

Also of interest, Karl just ordered "raisin bran and bacon, and uh, thats it" for breakfast. Impressive indeed.

5 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

You guys need 'King of the Road' on an ipod ...

Unknown said...

Hi back (sorry, I couldn't resist)...You guys have covered some beautiful territory (love all the pics) and have some great stories to tell (love the blogs). The best part is that your journey will help find a cure for MS. As far as ideas for promoting your cause along the way, maybe Karl could trade kisses for donations! He sounds like quite the ladies man. Take care.

Bob S. said...

Do you guys have a "bikeing for MS across the USA" on your bikes? It would let people know what you are doing and that it is for a good cause. At least they would probably talk to you when they see the signs. Just a thought.

Bob S.

angiolithic said...

Hey Mason. . . Leanna and I are on a great bike adventure today. . . around Pt Defiance Loop. I know you wish you were here with us. Too bad you have to bike across the US instead.
You guys are awesome! I am so impressed and am now going to check the blog every day.
Hey! I want a kiss for a donation. . . thats more than what I am getting at match.com.
Leanna says tell the beat boxing belly roller to save one for me.

Unknown said...

Good morning, neighbors (No, this isn't Mr. Rogers). I'm really enjoying the blog entries and the beautiful pictures of the scenery along the way. As an amateur photographer, I'm quite envious of what you are seeing in 3-D let alone shooting in 2-D. Some of the Montana scenery is breathtaking and I look forward to seeing those pix. Thanks for the hard work,

Phil