Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Adirondacks; just like the picture on a bottle of maple syrup.


Ahhhh. Upstate New York. We've been pedaling through the most amazing fall colors I've ever seen lately and I'm really finally getting the feeling of season change. With this beauty does come a small change in weather. It's starting to cool down and yesterday we rode in an incredible rain storm. We weathered well and once I got over my wet shoes this morning everything is looking cheerful again. We camped behind the bar in Newcomb in the covered shed area. It was a handy little spot a mere stumble from the stool. Despite the luxury accommodations, we were rushed out in the morning due to lack of food and more dramatically the lack of a head. Don reported back after his regular early-morning recon that there was nothing in Newcomb that would satisfy any of our needs. But, as fate would have it, by the time we got rolling the little cafe up the street had opened and we were satiated fully. It's a little difficult to fathom having to get off my but right now because it sure is warm in here but one can only watch morning television talk for so long. Lacking a rope to hang myself with I guess our only option will be to get back on the road.
We're headed toward Ticonderoga today. I hear there are forests of #2 pencils up there and that the yellow is just spectacular. I'm expect some serious sketching and cursive practice or at least a few "rubbings" here and there.
Mason is going into Apple Butter withdrawals right now. We've been feeding him a constant supply of apple Jelly but as any addict will tell you, jelly is no substitute for butter. We have coincidentally been either a day late or a day early for every all-you-can-eat-apple-butter-fest in the Northeast. Poor Mason looks like a junkie that realized he forgot his spoon at home. To the east we'll go and hopefully get him sorted out before he goes crazy(more crazy).
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my Aunt and Uncle Leta and Robert Dentan again. We arrived at their house in Buffalo on about 2 and a half hours notice and without even breaking stride they brought us in and made us very comfortable. Robert, I hope that your arm heals well. That said, you can always chalk up any residual scaring as the result of a hockey fight. I know you've got no reason to pick up chicks(namely being married to my lovely Aunt) but when I fell off my bike and scraped my face off they loved the hockey story. Also, the neighbors across the street, Don, Cindy, Will, Tony and Lee and Farley were most gracious hosts and I would like to thank them as well. I think we're still full. Thank you all again. It's your fault that I'm coming back to Buffalo. And I'm addicted to Beef on Weck. If you don't know what that is GO TO BUFFALO! Also, Diedra at the Buffalo News gets a thank you for coming out and meeting with us to get us in the paper. She was not only a sight for sore eyes but a helpful ally in our quest.
All-in all New York has been most welcoming. The view of New Yorkers as rude and loud is not true. They are loud but they're loudly nice. The scenery out here is like none other. If you ever get a chance, more to the point make a chance, go see New York. And eat a sub. They're delicious. Oh yeah, if they ask if you want the mustard on your sandwich fried, they actually think you asked for mushrooms.
-K

No comments: