Wednesday, October 10, 2007

New England General Synopsis

As we inch closer to our terminal destination, we find it increasingly necessary to squeeze every last drop of experience out of each precious day. So while this medium of expression is still at my discretion, I will take the opportunity to publish as much useless information about these experiences as possible.

New England is one of the most stereotypically accurate places I've ever been that is somehow different what I expected. Quaint historical buildings dot the countryside, cow fields alternate with pumpkin patches, and people speak with a thick accents, however the feel here is friendlier and less pretentious than I imagined. It seems more isolated and unchanged than most of the places we've passed through and the blend of hamlets and authentic wilderness is refreshing. We haven't been talking much while we ride due to sheer awe of our surroundings.

We've heard a lot of hype about the wet weather and steep climbs of New England, so the guys made a great decision our first night in Vermont to make camp under a covered pavilion to stay dry and rest comfortably. Unfortunately for me, I'm an idiot and decided to set up my tent in the grass. The 4 am monsoon flooded me out and I was forced to abandon ship- stuffing my pockets with valuables and making a break for cover with only my sleeping bag. The guys woke up to a good laugh and I set out towards a laundromat to dry out as much as I could, only to get more soaked by monsoon # 2. Laundromats should really provide a rental gown of sorts for the guy who literally needs everything washed and dried, but I digress. Our prospects for dry shelter had never seemed so bleak the following evening when we arrived in Sharon, VT- especially after a lone-toothed drunkard told us his place was our best bet- until we learned of a local couple who run a B&B. A few miles up a dark dirt road later we were on the doorstep of Ken and Nancy, who had four twin beds and a shower, and oh yeah by the way: "we lead cross-country bicycle tours... we've done what you guys are doing six times." Jackpot. I took over the garage to dry out my things and we all got a great night's sleep, especially Karl, who was finally able to rest in peace knowing that an unnamed, but particularly hairy member of our clan would not be attempting an "accidental" midnight spooning maneuver.

More on New Hampshire later. These tired legs need some rest to tackle the fierce undulations of central Maine in the morning.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Don, Karl, Mason and Devin
It is nice to see that you have made it down Maine. Remember people in Maine do not pronounce the r's in word. So Kal get us to your new name.
Diana
Massachusetts

jim said...

Who wrote this wonderful funny blog. I'm going to guess Mason....

Unknown said...

LaylaS2S2Layla
This is a wonderful blog. I read it three times. Congratulations on the near completion of your journey. The excitment of your reaching Bar Harbor grows in me, as well.

Karen said...

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all of your efforts to support our research. We look forward to meeting you here at the MS Center. Good luck with the final push.
Karen (research nurse at Partners MS Center)

Unknown said...

If I ever run a laudrymat, I will keep your suggestion in mind. Hope you've dried out by now.
Please eat and rest and write some more hilarious stuff.

Bollingers said...

Hello,

It is hard to believe that you are almost to the finish line. You all have done a great job so enjoy every minute of the time you have left!

While in Maine, please make sure to eat a lobster roll for me. I have always wanted to try one so you do it and let me know how they are!

Enjoy the rest of your ride,
Michelle

Unknown said...

Great pictures and you guys are amazing!